Monday, April 23, 2012

A Tribute to Elton John and Bernie Taupin

Curtains (from Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy 1975)

I used to know this old scarecrow
He was my song, my joy and sorrow
Cast alone between the furrows
Of a field no longer sown by anyone


I held a dandelion 
That said the time had come
To leave upon the wind
Not to return
When summer burns the earth again

Cultivate the freshest flower
This garden ever grew
Beneath these branches
I once wrote such a childish words for you

But that's okay
There's treasure children always seek to find
And just like us
You must have had
A once a upon a time

****
To hear Elton sing this in his reedy nasal voice, click on the link below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eanBhSiSltw&feature=colike

4 comments:

  1. sir elton john's classic....thanks for the link.that pic of holding a dandelion......is it by you???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, they are my stubby fingers with the Rajasthan sky in the background. And what I'm holding is certainly not a dandelion ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. your fingers are certainly not stubby.....you have artistic, neat and "clinically" perfect fingers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was meant to be a tribute to Elton and Bernie; how did the merit of my fingers enter the discussion?

    ReplyDelete